My fourth observation – ESL Conversation Club class

For my fourth observation I observed another ESL class. The teacher went over the content. A warm up activity, Hangman was done. It made a very clear visual representation and got the students engaged.  Throughout the class the teacher asked for their opinions often, checking in with them to make sure that they understand what they are doing. The teacher also got the students to work in small groups on their homework. There was a discussion in the breakout rooms which allowed for students to interact with their peers and share their insights. I liked how the teacher consistently made sure that everyone had their turn to speak. Those that were unresponsive were asked to provide at least a sentence or two and most of them did. I liked how gradually towards the end of the class almost everyone got the opportunity to speak and talk to the teacher as well as their peers. The teacher maintained their patience and handled the class professionally. There was no pressure for the unresponsive students to speak but yet at the end the teacher managed to get everyone talking, even if it was only a sentence or two.