My third observation – ESL Intermediate Speaking class (video)

My third observation involved an Intermediate Speaking class. In a pronunciation integrated and communicative lesson, the teacher needs to give emphasis on speaking activities like chant and group/pair work activities. At the presentation stage, the warm up was very surprising. With an amazing start, the teacher easily motivated and engaged all students in learning. The chant gathered so much clapping that it left me surprised. I realized that enjoyable activities for students are always attention catching and engaging. While observing this chant I realised it should be both rhythmic-and-enjoyable and suitable for students’ level. The info-gap activity has a remarkable importance in my teaching. The activity paper was prepared by the teacher. In order to create a collaborative and communicative activity to the students the teacher decided to use/prepare such an info-gap activity.

There were concept check questions, sentence stress, fluency, grammar rules, error correction and feedback etc… These factors are very important for lesson plan and instruction.

To conclude, I learned that all the topics we covered in our Teaching Language Skills course has a huge amount of significance both in creating lesson plan and instruction.